Thoughts 8-11

Nr 8 (some mentioned in nr 7)

One accident rarley comes alone
I was content looking forward to the expected litter from my Bea and Pihlspetsens Abbe. Bea was heavy so I wasn’t surprised when she started to pee indoors at the end of her pregnancy. So even if she peed a lot I didn’t think more of it. The litter was born – a big litter of nine pups. One stillborn – well it does happen so it wasn’t much to think about. But after that!
A couple of nights when Bea was crazy – if I didn’t cuddle her she digged through my entire bed. We went to a vet who gave her antibiotics which rendered her (and thus me) more quiet nights. In the morning the fifth day one pup was dead in the box. The next morning another pup was dead in the box. Another visit to the vet who checked both mother and pups without knowing more. The following evenings I went to sleep worrying about who would be dead in the morning. No more deaths followed – at that time. But Bea was still peeing oceans and when she peed in the snow I could see that the urine wasn’t yellow but clear as water.
Then Bea started to bleed from her nose! Not much but once a day without any obvious cause. Another visit to the vet who sent us on to a specialist. A number of visits with blood and urine tests. That part of the examinations ended by getting three samples of morning urine to send for analysis. Then Bea had trouble with her stomach…

I got the result from the tests on November 30th and it said that she probably had Cushing’s syndrome. She was constantly stressed by hormones and that might be the reason for her being so alert all the time. She stayed overnight for a final check. Over New Year she was tired and spent much time on my lap while I decided to let her end her life.
On the first day after New Year Bea and I went to the vet. Bea got raw liver to eat while she got her injections. There was one left in her mouth when she died. We went home as she is to be buried at home.

One might think this was bad enough, but no! About six weeks later one of the pups still at home had trouble with his stomach and was that ill so I took him to the vet who hospitalized him. He was opened as they thought he might have eaten something that got stuck in his intestines but it turned out to be a heavy intestinal infection. In spite of intensive treatment with liquid and antibiotics he was swaying from worse to better and back and I thought he had to be put to sleep when I went to see him on the fifth day. He was sad but clear in his eyes and he got up to go to me. As the very last chance I brought him home to give him strength from love, cuddling, warmth and liquid in the hope that his own strength would be enough. He walked around on my bed and seemed to like being close and cuddled. But on the second morning he was turning worse. He didn’t want to be touched and he complained. At that moment there was no more hope. A friend brought me a gun, Franklin walked smelling the ground and when he was standing still I pulled the trigger. I cried my eyes out. And I have been crying many times (and do it now writing about it) over Bea and Franklin.
There is some comfort in knowing that the rest of the pups have great homes and the last bitch pup will stay with me. But every single animal has its own place in my heart and no one else can take that place. So the emptiness and the sorrow will stay with me hoping that the dog is allowed to bring its mistress into heaven. If so we will meet again and we will get together with my beloved Rune and we will be a whole family again.

Nr 9

Lyra’s missing teeth
Lyra was to the veterinarian about a week ago and I took the opportunity to show her missing teeth. When I mentioned my suspicion about foetal damage he told me that they say that you can use Interceptor for pregnant bitches. But later research – giving mice and rats Interceptor at various phases during the pregnancy – has shown that Interceptor does give missing teeth.
If I hadn’t been convinced before I was now that even recent research has shown exactly that kind of foetal damage that Lyra got. It gives me extra courage to go on with the planned mating.

Nr 10

A lot of things have happened and I have not had the time to write. Now things are sad.

A couple of months ago Lyra started to behave like Bea did 2½ years earlier. As soon as I knew who was peeing oceans indoors I sent urin samples to the lab and they showed that she probably had Cushing. Lyra was not well and the other dogs told her to go away. I could recognize what had happened to Bea so I let her go to the Rainbow Bridge.

Now I decided to stop breding from my dogs. I have no wish to risk more dogs getting this disease, I do not want my puppy buyers to have to go through this and I don’t want EVER to have to take away a dog because of Cushing. 

Then it all started again. This time it was two dogs. My sister’s dog Sunny who had lived here for some months and Tuva – the apple of my eye. Tuva the very reason for my breeding in small numbers. This time we went straight from the ”normal” urine sample to the descisive – low dose dexamethasone suppression test. And yes they have Cushing. To be on the safe side she was ultrasounded and it was obvious that she had Cushing.
No words can describe my despair. I had five dogs in my home and soon only two remain. And I can’t count on having them for an ordinary life-span. HD is litter brother of Sunny and Vaira is a half- sister. Bea is the mother of both of them.

My beloved dogs have by chance in my combinations become easy targets for a disease without a cure! As soon as I am not distracted by something I just cry. To lose three of my dogs in three years and one from my breeding is more than one should have to live through.

Nr 11

New hope! I discussed the situation of Tuva with a vet specialized in onkology and endocrinology an thus in Cushing. Tuva has started on a medication (Vetoryl) that restrains the production of cortisol. And it seems to have the desired effect on such a low dose that no side effects occur (so far) and as long as my money lasts I will go on treating her like that for the rest of her life.

We will try it for Sunny as well even if one would expect the the tumor is more aggressive when such a young dog gets ill. At least it is worth trying!